View Single Post
Old 07-03-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

Hi! welcome to YT and congrats on your new yorkie!

How much does your new baby weigh? if she's a good weight and healthy then i would stop giving her treats/yogurt/people food and only give her dog food. If she was only fed people food in the past then she might be holding out until you give her something "better" in her opinion then dog food. You can try scheduled feedings by putting her food down for 15 minutes morning, afternoon, and night and then picking it up even if she didn't eat anything. this will teach her meal times and she better eat now or she'll have to wait till later.

Mine has food out all day long usually. she self regulates and only eats when she's hungry. However there are days when i need to get her to eat because she has to take a pill and i don't want to give it to her on an empty stomach. Or if i know she hasn't eaten in a day. In these situations i'll actually sit on the floor with her and play with her food. I try to make it seem like its a treat and a game. I'll pretend to eat a piece, or i'll even put some of my saliva on it (i actually lick it, LOL i dont care) to make her think its something yummy. Or i'll wave it around in front of her getting her to chase it then i'll toss it a few feet away. she thinks its a treat and will gobble it up. (i learned about the saliva trick from a breeder on here. for some reason it makes the food more appealing).

you can try putting a topper on her dry food. try wet food of the same brand and mix it really well so she can't just eat the wet food and leave the dry. some people sprinkle Parmesan cheese on top of the food or shredded carrots. I use coconut chips (cocotherapy sold by a member here) or coconut oil (organic virgin) mixed in with dry food whenever i fill her bowl.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!