View Single Post
Old 07-02-2010, 01:58 AM   #1
DililahsMommy
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Exclamation Liver Shunt in 1.5 lb puppy

Delilah is a 1.5 lb miniature poodle. She presented to the vet with seizures and general lethargy. Her DX was hypoglycemia. After a food switch (Hills) and glucose paste she began having very frequent seizures. Another trip to the vet and she had a blood draw which determined very high liver numbers. Additionally, her blood sample looked like strawberry milk. I was told that while I could try a low protein diet to manage this, she would likely not gain weight and starve to death. Faced with this prospect I asked to take her home so I could discuss with with my husband.

My husband has demanded a second opinion and she goes for that tomorrow. Meanwhile I have been up ALL NIGHT looking for answers. Hence, the 5 am post.

I have joined the 2 yahoogroups suggested. I have read bits and pieces about home diets and supplements. I feel a bit lost because Delilah is so very tiny and you guys have what seem like robust babies @ 7 pounds (in comparison). So here are my questions:

1-Does her weight disqualify her as far as trying to help her with a home diet?

2-Is it possible to do a low protein diet to help her gain some weight or are we too far behind the 8 ball?

3-Can we save this baby? While surgery is not an option right now because we will need to save the money, it is certainly not out of the question for the future.

Please say yes. Please tell me this sweet angel who sleeps in my bra and melts my 6' 2" 225 lbs husband isn't beyond help. We love her SO much. I can't even type this email without sobbing

Robin
DililahsMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!