View Single Post
Old 06-30-2010, 06:33 PM   #2
Britster
Action Jackson ♥
Donating Member

I've been through the picky eater thing! Not fun!

Basically, I went through quite a few foods... and settled on the few that he seems to prefer and like a lot. (We've been having great luck w/ Acana grain-free and Go! Endurance grainfree right now).

For picky eaters, it is sometimes better to NOT leave food out all day (aka free feed) because they learn food is always available. Most would recommend placing the food out in the morning for around 20 mins or so and if she doesn't touch it... pick it up and don't feed her again until afternoon. Again, put it down for another few minutes. Dogs do not starve themselves and should eventually cave to eating, even if takes 2 days.

Another thing is you can use other things to entice them to eat, such as wet food, healthy human food (maybe some chicken breast), or even put a little parm cheese on top of the kibble. I do give Jackson canned mixed in. Just a little dab of canned food seems to make him enjoy food sooo much better, and I really don't mind doing it. So it all depends on what you're willing to do.

I've heard of Nature's Variety, Fromm, Merrick's, Acana, Orijen and raw food being good for picky eaters.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!