View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Ladymom
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle View Post
I would treat it as if she is pregnant. I don't feel a typical 17 yr old is responsible enough to care for a puppy in heat and an yorkie male with an desire to have sex that can get to her maintaining his fertility. They will climb walls and move mountains to have sex. Typical teens (outside of extreme cases) don't understand it. It's too much for them. NO knock on your daughter, I wouldn't allow my own at that age.

Some swell after heat. No two are alike. Not all vulvas swell huge. Some swell some. I would not wait long to have her spayed. She is much too young to be a mom. You were going to spay here anyway, it's safe to go forward with the spay. Talk to your vet about the details. See if he will proceed with a spay right after her heat is over. Not after you stop seeing blood, but the heat cycle. Just to be clear.
I agree. If she has been in heat for 16 days with an intact male in the house and not closely supervised, assume the worst. Talk to your vet about moving up the spay date in case she's pregnant.
Ladymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!