View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #3
smartpuppiepets
YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the4ween View Post
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I know there some great experts on here so I will ask anyways. Philly my 8 month old Yorkie is in heat and has been for 16 days . I plan to have her spayed and her appointment is already set. However I also have a 6 year old male yorkie
and he isn't really sure what to do but trys to hump her , I bought her diapers and she is also in and out of her pen but she is home w/ my 17 year old daughter during the day who doesn't watch her like a hawk as I do . So my question is Can she get pregnant after her heat cycle? Also her I guess you call them teets ( breasts ) are swollen ..is this normal during the heat cycle...I worry she may be pregnant w/ being swollen there. She isn't as playful as normal ...still plays just not as much ...is this also from being in heat. UGGGG I cant wait until she is fixed. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank you YT!
Females in heat change their behavior, the swell... the hormones ... make her feel uncomfortable. My girls also become very stubborn during heat.
Spay during heat is not a good idea, but it should last about 21 days, and a few more weeks after that makes the spay very safe. Swollen nipples are normal during heat, her vulva also must be huge, all the outside symptoms of heat cycle. If she mated or if you let it happen she has a big possibility of getting pregnant. But remember, 8 months is way to young to breed and there is a H-U-G-E risk of complications, Serious complications, so discuss it well with your vet and proceed with the spay .Suggestion: Go ahead and neuter your boy as well... you will be in peace !
Blessings
XOXO
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!