Thread: Dewclaw Removal
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 07:31 AM   #2
kpstoybox
Do you like Parti's?"
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorWoods View Post
I have 2 Yorkies. My female is 10 months old and she has all her dewclaws and they give her no problems. My little male is 13 weeks old and I recently noticed his dewclaws on his hind feet are not attached normally to his foot.

the piece of skin attaching the claw to the foot looks almost like a piece of matted hair and the claws are both not plush against the foot like thry should be. it almost looks as if they are detaching themselves???

When i first noticed this I thought the claws had fallen off and were stuck in the hair but when i lightly pinched what i thought was hair he reacted so I know they are still attached but only just. They are hanging on by a thread.

He is seeing the vet today for innoculations and Im hoping he can shed some light on what I need to do. His front claws are 100% normal. The one hind claw is completely upside down and twisted and looks like it is not attached at all but it is by this tiny piece of sinew.

Has anyone else had issues similar with dewclaws? I thought breeders normally had them removed a few days after birth?
That's interesting..as I personally have never seen a hind foot dew claw on a yorkie. I've heard that some are born with them..but never seen it myself.
However, I have seen dews on the hind feet of another breed that is usually born with them..and yes..they barely hang there with a thin piece of skin. These should have been removed when your little boy was just a few days old. They can be safely removed while your puppy is under during his neuter. Talk to your vet about it today.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!