Thread: Genetics
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynn View Post
Let me also add....when breeding to the standard set forth by the YTCA for the "Yorkshire Terrier" you want to breed out the faults that are not desired for what the standard calls for. Until that changes the off color yorkie is not within the standard set forth by the YTCA and not allowed to show in AKC shows. I'm not saying they are not a yorkshire terrier but they do not conform to the standard. Until that changes (which is not going to change anytime in the near future) one must strive to keep the breed standard as close as possible. Although, the off color yorkie is not a life threatening genetic fault it is considered a major fault within the yorkie standard just like a bad topline, bad ear set, undershot bite, overshot bite, bad fronts and bad rears...not good traits to have to conform to the yorkie standard.

Donna
Absolutely Donna,

Let me add the off colored yorkie is identified as a fault within the standard, and the only fault that a dog can be Disqualified for in the ring. With that said; the AKC/YTCA has placed that much importance on it.

As you said color fault is not life threatening.....however, born blue pups have been known to have health issues.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!