View Single Post
Old 06-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #11
kjc
I♥PeekTinkySaph&Finny
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvav View Post
Right now I am hand feeding him to get him to eat. I have been boiling ground beef and mixing a little of that with his kibble but he isn't eating a lot of it. The last couple days he hasn't been quite as active and had that gagging sound like he has something going on in his throat. Even when he is eating he is having a hard time chewing and swallowing his food. He just ate a little bit and now he is just sitting in the chair which is very abnormal for him. I am going to call the University in the morning and make an apt for him to be seen.
Sorry, you asked about BAT results... I wasn't aware of his other problems.

My thoughts: Did your vet check his teeth? Dogs with Liver problems are usually picky eaters, but trouble chewing may indicate a problem with his mouth. Does he eat soft food more readily, and have you checked for any hair in his mouth, as it can get stuck and go partially down the throat causing symptoms similar to what you described. Panting can be indicative of pain/discomfort either from the mouth or abdomin.

What kind of food does he get fed? What is the protein content? If it's 30-50% protein or higher, I would definitely find a food with a lower amount of protein just to ease the load on his liver, regardless of what problem he is having, but definitely check with your vet before making any changes. Adding a little low fat cottage cheese would be a way to entice him to eat and it is an easier protein for his liver to break down. (as long as he doesn't have allergies/intolerance to dairy) until his BAT values return to normal, if that is possible. Even when the liver is having a temporary problem, it will only help to ease the protein load on the the liver, so it can focus on regeneration instead of having to try to eliminate excess nutrients from the blood supply. You could try wetting his kibble to soften it, if you're not doing so already, to see if it's any easier for him to eat. This will help keep him hydrated too, if he's not drinking as much.

Rechecking him, or getting a second opinion would be a good thing to do at this point. I wouldn't put it off for too long.. either. If you can't get him in right away at the University, I would have my regular vet check his mouth at least, ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
My dog Daisy's readings were over 100 post - with diet changes to home cooked, her post number is now 13 and her blood work shows a dog that is not liver compromised so this condition can improve. My baby is almost 10 and she is in the best condition of her life.
Do you recall just how far over 100 Daisy's post BAT result was?
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!