View Single Post
Old 06-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #3
manolos mom
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbelland View Post
I purchased a female yorkie to ad to my breeding program back in July, 2009. Her name is Jazzy and she came from Dee Sester. Dee's Lil' Yorkshire terriers.

I spoke with Dee to see if Jazzy would be of breeding quality, I realize at a younger age it is hard for one to know if the pup is breeding quality. I assumed with Dee's experience and knowledge that the information exchanged with me would be beneficial to my breeding program.

After Jazzy came home I posted a thread giving Dee's Yorkies a good review. Because I assumed Jazzy was everything Dee said, and would make a great addition to my breeding program.

Couple months later I gained some information about Open Font in her lines. Giving her the benefit of the doubt I e-mailed her regarding multiple open font issues she had in her lines. Her response was she had not had multiple dogs with open font, she then gave me her vet info. i then proceeded to contact her vet Dr.********, he was very reluctant to release info w/o her consent. And the impression I gained with speaking with him is that he only saw her dogs for health certs.

I then emailed Dee regarding info I received from her vet and info I gained regarding 1 previous pup (of Dee's breeding) with open font and 2 current pups (one of Dee's breeding and another pup that would be grand sired by Ceeby) that came from Ceeby's line (sire). So I brought that to her attention. Dee responded by telling me to go ahead and breed Jazzy once to see if the open font showed up. With so many open fonts showing up I told Dee I would not breed Jazzy.

That being said I felt that Dee was dishonest regarding the open font issue, I decided if Dee was being dishonest about that, what else would she be dishonest about. I decided to have Jazzy spayed and rehomed to ensure I would not have this problem.

I asked Dee if she was going to do anything about Jazzy. She made the comment she did not have the money nor would have it for 4 months. She also offered a replacement puppy after some time which I though may be be a good a good idea from a different dam/sire. But then referred back to the trust issue. We went back and forth for a while about the money and replacement puppy until I finally asked Dee not to contact me again.

She also sent an email to me asking if I did my research on her. I WILL take responsibility for not digging more into Dee's breeding program. However I believe she was being dishonest from the beginning knowing I was purchasing Jazzy for breeding. As a breeder WE are responsible for selling any dog with an open registration. I would think before a breeder would sell a pup with open registration they would know the lines and be honest with any faults.

I know open font is not the worst thing that could happen. But being that Dee was dishonest about that, what else was she not telling me about Jazzy's lines.

Jazzy has a wonderful new home now where she is loved daily. Jazzy does not have open font.

I am not posting this thread to be vindictive, it is just to make family's more aware of her breeding ethics and program. For my own future reference I will let a little more time lapse before I do breeder review to ensure that the pup is what the breeder states. I think it is also very important to wait on adding a breeding quality pup until they are much older.

This experience has tought me quite a bit. If there is one thing you can take out of this thread, DO YOUR RESEARCH!!!

Renee, I am so glad you posted this! And yes Jazzy will live her life full of Love with Van and Dana. I am so sorry you had to go through this. Sounds like you are well on your way of becoming a top notch breeder. Good Luck to you and Happy Learning.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!