View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcgriff88 View Post
I did a lot of reading before buying my first Yorkshire Terrier and did even more before I decided to breed for the first time. I know there are many hereditary diseases that Yorkies are prone to and I feel that I took all necessary measures to prevent these problems in my line. Both my male and female had Bile Acid Levels within normal limits pre and post. I bred my dogs again and shortly after, I found out that one of the pups from their last litter has liver shunt. My female is already pregnant and expecting a litter from the same male as the last litter. I know in an ideal situation you would not breed the parents of a liver shunt puppy, at least to each other, again. But it has already happened. I wanted to know what you guys would do, as breeders and yorkie owners, if you were in this situation. This was going to be my last litter for awhile, and at least with these dogs anyways, but I still have the problem.
Thank you.
My question is did you know about the puppy before after you bred your dogs again?

Now, in the case of the pup with Shunt. You are responsible, pay for the surgery.

In the new litter. You maybe lucky and not have shunt show up again However, I would have the pups tested (per the Dr. Center Protocol, listed in the YTCA.org health section). There is a possibility that this new litter may not throw a shunt puppy. I say this based on Dr. Tobias research.

However, if you are feeling nervous, uncomfortable and scared. Call Dr. Center and ask her advice on what her recommendations would be.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!