View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 07:44 AM   #4
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDogBoots View Post
I'm seeing so many threads lately from members who have questions and are seeking advice regarding medical & basic health issues regarding their dogs, which I think is fantastic. The amount of information I have personally learned since I've been a forum member is astonishing, although I take everything learned with a grain of salt.

I'm seeing members dishing out advice that flat out goes against what the dog's veterinarian recommends. Literally, I see people say "no your vet is wrong" or "your vet is not doing the right tests", etc. The vet may say to try a certain food, while someone else may say "no, chicken is no good".

Without actually seeing the dog's symptoms is it possible to really give a clear diagnosis online? I think that advice is priceless, but I also think that the folks asking questions may be getting confused by so many contradictions. I see so many new people come home from the vet, post their information and after seeing the replies they now say "gosh I'm so confused and don't know what to do". Shouldn't the vet's advice generally be followed?

While I think sharing information and stories is a huge asset to this forum, i'm not so sure that clinically diagnosing is. I've never had a major issue with a veterinarian in a negative way and perhaps I'm lucky. I really have a great relationship with my vet and do trust them. Maybe I would feel differently if I've had a horrific experience.

Thanks for letting me post.
I completely agree with you. I think it's wonderful when someone's pup is sick, and a vet is having trouble diagnosing and then members here suggest this test or that test to try in hopes of getting to a diagnosis quicker. That's wonderful! We all learn from our experiences and sharing them is what this site is about. I just have a hard time when people try to diagnose over the internet. I'll admit, I don't absolutely love my vet, and I will come home and look up the prescription she gave Kaji. I guess I haven't found a vet I absolutely love yet.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!