View Single Post
Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
dinkyweil
YT Addict

Default My "expert" opinion

I am 3 days into my very first yorkie. He is 5 months old and a timid boy. He is only 2.5 lbs. and the breeder had been feeding him table food! I found this alarming... I don't know much, but I know this little guy needs nutrition. I was worried about hypoglcemia, but I am also worried he won't be healthy without getting what he needs.
What I found works for him is staying with him when he eats. He also has separtation anxiety and he gets too worried to eat or drink when I walk away. So I stood there this morning, and he ate about a tablespoon of dry puppy food this morning and another tablespoon this afternoon. He drinks his water better too. I have not give him any table food at all, and he did get hungry. I did free feed the first day, but he ate about 2 tiny bites. Even when I mixed him some fancy meaty dog food, he ate hardly anything. common sense told me he would continue to be pickymif I free fed him, so I stopped that.
So, here I am, feeling like quite the pro because I got lucky with Dinky! He's eating nicely now, crunching right into those tiny pellets. It feels good to see him eat with some gusto!
I am really enjoying this little guy. He's up from his latest nap now! He has a trip to the vet today in about an hour. Going bye bye in the car! what fun.
He is nowhere near potty trained. He goes in his crate and on his blanket, and he thinks that this is correct! So that is going to be quite a challenge.
dinkyweil is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!