Thread: Still Looking!
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
velobabe
Mommy's Lil' Piper Cub

Although I think many of you have listed legitimate reasons why some young children should not have Yorkies or small dogs in general as pets, I also think a lot has to do with teaching your child, no matter their age, to respect and love animals regardless of the animal's size. My Tristan just turned one and we have Piper and our Chi and also his "kitty-cat" that he LOVES to pieces. All three are small now compared to him, although he is very tiny for his age. We also have 1 Boxer puppy and 1 grown Boxer, whom he adores. As parents of both Tristan and all our furbabies it is our responsibility and duty to teach our son to love and respect all animals, which includes knowing the proper way to touch and pet them and not to "grab" onto or hold them. I believe if you teach a child from the beginning to respect animals, just as you teach them all other important "right from wrong" things, you are benefiting all involved. We always supervise our son around all our pets and will continue to do so but the fact that he knows not to "hurt" them helps make us one big happy and safe family. IMO they are never too young to learn how to love and respect animals, along with the proper way to touch and treat them

Last edited by velobabe; 12-02-2005 at 12:29 AM.
velobabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!