View Single Post
Old 06-20-2010, 04:25 AM   #7
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
Mary, even with the pup I mentioned that was slow to gain, the eyes were open by 2 weeks. Just something I've never seen before (such a delay in opening). My little girl was tiny and was 5 weeks before making it to 6 ounces, and that was with using the goat's milk formula. I don't think I've ever fretted as much before as with this one but she finally took root. Never was a sickly baby...just ultra tiny.

I thought about mentioning the goat's milk formula but thought twice about recommending a change in such a small baby that's apparently doing well. I would be concerned about upsetting the applecart, though I agree about the goat's milk and it's very digestible. It's what I use and have had great results with it.

I think the OP said Honey is 4 weeks now but she sounds more like a newborn than anything. Very unusual case....at least I've never seen anything like this before.
My preemies I never had to supplement. At birth, I went through my usual routine, 1/2 tube of benebac (something I do when they come into the world, maks changes in their diet, or have loose stools), nutridrops on the gums and they latched on. I did fret on the delayed opening of the eyes. My vet reassured me with the words that they were preemie and although it always didn't happen, at times some preemies had to go through the usual growth and maturing as if they were in utero.

By no means am I suggesting that the formula be changed on this wee one without consultation of a vet. But, did have a litter I had to hand raise. The litter wasn't gaining. Took them into the vet and had the pleasure of listening to him scream at me on the supplement I was using and any other replacement milk that was on the market. The harm that we do on feeding said supplements. Then went on to inform me the closets thing to mother's milk was Goat's Milk and why.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!