View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woogie Man View Post
I agree with Winston's Mom on your checking your measurements.

I've never dealt with a situation such as yours. Didn't I see where you posted that her eyes aren't open yet? WOW!! I've never had one go beyond 17 days before opening their eyes.

If she's doing well and not crying in between feedings, she sounds like she's getting enough. I've had one that took 5 weeks before I saw any real growth on her and then she starting gaining nicely. I didn't feed her more than she could take at a feeding....just made her plump, not too tight in the belly and fed her often rather than a lot at one time.

The usual recommended amount I've seen to feed newborns is 1 cc per ounce of body weight. The amount increases with the pup's age and activity level but at least that's a starting point for you to go by.
Woogieman,

I had a premature litter last August and by my calculations and the physical presentation of the pups they were approximately a week premature. One of the pups did not open it's eyes until day 21. Per my vet if calculating on when they should have been born, he was right on time.

As far as nursing them, and the pup is not gaining, it could very well be due to the supplement. The closests thing to mothers milk is Goat's milk (canned) mixed with equal parts of distilled water and a bit of Karo Syrup.

I feed with a canine preemie nipple attached to a syringe so that I can better monitor what is being fed and control the flow of milk. Also, giving the pup the needed sucking reflex needed. I've always allowed the pup to determine when they no longer want any more. They usually drop off to sleep, but I will burp them in between, allowing them to make room for a bit more. As long as the pup is warm and not crying, it is probably getting enough. As it gets stronger it will take in more milk and the feeding times will not be as close. By week 3 1/2 (maybe not in this case since the pup is preemie), they should be able to lap on their own.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!