View Single Post
Old 06-19-2010, 06:27 PM   #1
Rhetts_mama
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Default Need help preventing a problem

I may be in over my head here. Remember we had decided to hold off getting a rescue pup? Well, some things kind of fell in to place and I got a call about an 8 week old female up in Tennessee. Her mom and littermates were turned over to a rescue due to the flooding. We drove up there to meet her today. Long story short, we ended up bringing her home.

So here is my problem. I think she is younger than 8 wks. She's small, only about 1 lb, 2 oz, and she only has 3 teeth. The rescue said she was eating Purina Puppy (crap) Chow and doing well on it &
had no issues with hypoglycemia (she was in a foster home). I am having a hard time believing she could really be totally weaned. I offered her the food several times, but she had zero interest in eating it. I also offered her wet food, but still no luck. I did get her to take some nutrical both during the ride home and after we got here. I did stop and pick up some Esmilil (sp?) and managed to get her to take about 20cc's- she seemed to enjoy it. She hasn't peed or pooped since I picked her up about 6 hrs ago. Right now she's sleeping, but she has been playful, giving kisses and chewing on the soft duck I bought for her.

What else can I do to encourage her to eat? I plan on keeping up with offering her the food every couple hours through the night.
Rhetts_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!