View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #15
WinstonMom
YT Addict

I agree that you should be refunded for your pup. As a breeder, that is what I would do. Legge-Perthes is a sad and crippling disease of young dogs and I don't think that the new owner should be left with no compensation.
However, I do believe that the jury is still out as to what causes it. As far as I know, there seems to be more evidence of it being strictly genetic if the pup develops it in both legs as opposed to just one. From what I understand, in cases of it being caused by trauma, the injury can be so slight as to not be noticed by the owner. I have also done some reading that indicated that they think the trauma at birth could have something to do with it, as it is more common in pups born by C-section. There is no way that the breeder could have known about this problem before you got your dog, as there are no signs until the head of the femur starts to deteriorate. Personally, I would not breed either of the parents again, but I think it is very important that your breeder understands that they should not repeat the same breeding again (could save another from the same heartbreak you had).
Good luck with your pup, I think your breeder should refund you.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!