View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
BonBon
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Registered for a Pet CPR and First Aid class

It seems so many members are having scares with their little ones recently. After reading some of these threads, I realized I would have no idea what to do in a lot of these crisis situations to help my pups.

Wylie's Mom mentioned a Pet CPR and First Aid class that she took, and referred me to my local Red Cross chapter. The Red Cross just emailed me that they've now scheduled a class in my area at the end of July. That's still a ways away, but I feel so much better knowing that I will learn what to do in case of an emergency.

Wylie's Mom posted a link here for anyone who's interested in these classes. I think it's something every pet owner should consider learning. http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...red-cross.html

Here's a description of what the classes cover:

Your pet is an important part of your life. By knowing basic pet first aid, you could save your pet's life when an emergency strikes. Learn how to recognize and respond to life-threatening conditions at this valuable course given by the American Red Cross.
This class will teach you how to:
Know when to call for emergency assistance for an injured animal
Determine what is "normal" for your cat or dog
Identify signals of breathing emergencies, including choking, and provide care for the symptoms you find
Recognize and provide care for signs of cardiac arrest
Control life-threatening bleeding
Recognize and care for signs of sudden illness, including poisoning, seizures, and heat and cold emergencies
Move an injured pet
Put together a "pet friendly" first aid kit
At this class, CPR and first aid skills for cats and dogs are taught through hands-on practice on dog-like manikins. Each student will receive a Red Cross Pet First Aid guide.
Who Should Attend Dog and cat owners
Prerequisites None
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. -- Author Unknown
BonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!