View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #2
Cooper2010
YT Addict

I'll explain why I ask if it's an unusual question. My husband and I got Cooper on March 27th, he was born on Nov. 19, 2009. Within two weeks we had him neutered to try to avoid any marking behaviors he might develop. Shortly after he started to limp, the initial vet fee was $248 for the x-rays, the visit, the medication. Two weeks later he wasn't any better. A second x-ray was $52 and a diagnosis of Legg-Perthes. Ten days later (5/25/10) he had FHO at a cost of $1,079. The vet and myself notified the breeder. They sent me a well wishing email, I emailed them after the surgery to update them on his status. The bone was sent to pathology and it was a genetic defect, there was no sign of trauma. The vet also notified them of the test results. I've heard nothing from them and I haven't contacted them either.

Basically in a little more than 8 weeks we spent three times what we paid for the pup in vet bills (not counting the neuter of course). I just wondered what some of you as breeders would think the recourse should be, if any? We did have a one-year health guarantee, but what does that cover?

My husband thinks they should give us back half (if not the full amount) we paid to help cover the vet bills. I don't know what would be the ethical thing to do, I do know they are aware of the situation and haven't offered.

I paid for all this on my CC so I will be paying for this surgery for months if not years as I'm not in the position right now in this economy to pay the whole bill at once.

I guess I'm looking for advice and guidance on how I should handle this, if I should do anything at all? I love the little guy dearly and have no regrets but I never dreamed that I would have well over $2000 invested in him in such a short time.
Cooper2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!