View Single Post
Old 06-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #15
GAOMariposa
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Let me say that heartworm though present in California it is in very small pockets. California does have mosquito abatement and sprays regularly.
When I lived in Texas where heartworm is prevelant I had all my dogs on Intercepter.

There is one problem with ordering the meds from Foster & Smith. Should your dog develop heartworm your vet will not cover treatment. Where if you purchase your meds from the vet, it is covered. You might want to discuss this further with your vet.
Hi Mary. The vet won't cover treatment because there is no heart worm in the area in Mexico where I live. So there's no guarantee with him. I would have to talk about it with Itzel's vet in California if I want some sort of guarantee.

I live in Northern California. I tried doing a Google search but couldn't find a website that stated what areas have heartworm. It said something about the foothill area. I'm pretty close to Sacramento so I'm not sure if that would be a risk factor. Plus my family just moved out into the country last year. My family told me that last year there was a huge swarm of mosquitoes. They told me that in the short space it took to get from the front door to the car, they would be covered in mosquitoes. They called the country office to report it and they said several people had already complained as well. They came out to spray for a few days, I think. It took care of the problem but it was a few days before they came out. In that time frame, had I been in California, maybe my baby could have gotten heartworm (if it's in the area where I live).

Does anyone have a site that tells you more? I saw a poster at her California vet and remember seeing my area highlighted. But I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to talk to her California vet to see what months she needs to be treated. Thanks again for the information.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!