View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnewbreeder View Post
I am looking into becoming a breeder. i would really like to breed smaller yorkies. I am looking trying to buy a female but have alot of questions. 1) i want to have smaller dogs, what would be the ideal weight i need to look for in my female? I want to make sure she has small dogs but i don't want her to have trouble having puppies. 2) What is the most popular coat? Black or steel blue? 3) What size male do i need to breed my female too? Remeber i want small dogs. 4) do the smaller dogs have more health issues? I need all the input i can get!!!!
http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/yor...-answered.html
Please read the above.

There is much more to breeding than meets the eye. Finding a reputable mentor should be your number one priority. Attending canine genetic classes, studying pedigrees, attending breeding and whelping classes. Learning the Yorkshire Terrier Standard inside and out (this will tell you the correct color to to be breeding for. Study health issues that plague the yorkshire terrier, it has nothing to do with size, but with knowing where your dogs come from. Learn about line breeding

Go to the YTCA.org pages read about breeding smaller females (absolute no, no). A reputable breeder never breeds anything smaller than 5 pounds. Breeding a smaller male to a larger female is a misnomer.

Buy your dogs from the best lines possible It takes years and years of studying before breeding is even attempted. These are breathing little creatures. If you aren't setting out to improve the breed then you shouldn't even begin to breed.

Last edited by Mardelin; 06-14-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Mardelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!