View Single Post
Old 06-11-2010, 02:45 PM   #6
kalina82
Phantom Queen Morrigan
Donating Member

when i was a vet tech for the surgeons i dealt with a sheltie who had a chylothorax. She had already been coming in for treatments when i first started working there and she continued to for about 2 years while i was there. I always assisted with her treatments and did her x-rays every time she came in. At first she only came in for her chest to be drained every couple months. the liquid that came out of the chest was white and looked like a thin milk shake. Towards the end, she started coming in more often for her chest to be tapped. the last two months she was coming in every week and a half until she needed to be hospitalized and kept on oxygen. its a very exhausting condition to deal with, both for the dog and the owners. There is a surgery that can be done, but there is no guarantee it will be 100% successful unfortunately.

the owners knew it was time to bring her in for a chest tap when she couldn't lay down and sleep. laying down on her side made it hard to breath. she figured out tho, that if she slept next to the bottom step of the staircase it would prop her up so she could sleep and breath. very sad. that sheltie was such a good dog. it was heartbreaking to see her having trouble breathing.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!