View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 02:57 AM   #13
tjdmom
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyandtanksmom View Post
So would it be bad for my boys if I bought raw meat at the grocery store and fed it to them? I don't want to make my little ones sick, but I looked at prices of raw, and they're pretty dang high.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babiehammer View Post
That exactly what I was going to ask. Do i just buy a slab of chicken breast and have him go at it?

I'm not so sure I'm sold on this raw thing.. it bothers me to think my dog eats better and more expensive things than I do!
Prey Model Raw is just that, going to the grocery store. The person who said 80% meat, 10%bone and 10% organ meat is right on but you might want to start with just a bone in chicken breast. Remove most of the fat for now. FYI the skin has a lot of fat which can cause looser stools especially when they aren't used to it but once they are, you won't need to remove the fat unless your baby is particularly sensitive to it. And I try to keep the food for my dogs at .99 a lb or less. Also, be sure to tell friends and family that you'll gladly take any freezer burnt meat they have. I get donations all the time - I have 2 whole chickens in my freezer right now and honestly, I personally would eat them myself as they aren't even that old... who knows, I might. My dogs also get donations of venison and other meat from hunters. There are also sites you can join and coops but for now, I would start with a bone in breast and feed those for a good 3 weeks. Obviously most breasts will be bigger than your pups can eat for one meal so let them work on it for 20 minutes or 1/2 hour and then I rinse it and put it back in a baggie and back in the fridge. Good luck!
tjdmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!