View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:23 PM   #20
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximo View Post
I'm so glad you posted Gemy. You are one of the people I thought of to refer the OP to for advice.

In the case I cited of a YT member whose larger dog unexpectedly killed her Yorkie, the prey drive is what many YT members suspected caused the tragedy.

It's important to keep in mind that even the best pets are animals with instincts bred into them. Those instincts and certain traits aren't character flaws or unfair stereotypes conjured up by ignorant people.
So very true. It is a concern always with a large/small mix in your dogs. My breeder/trainer told me we need to train RAzz man from a puppy to always get out of the way. Also door training, not to rush door, to stay back when door is opened or closed. One of her breeding was inadvertently killed when owner closed door on her little puppy. I still try to do the Yorkie shuffle particularly in kitchen where all beasties like to follow me around.

The other thing the poster will need to be aware of - she has a guard breed. Once this GSD matures, dependent on their particular level of guarding instinct, this dog will always protect owner and "her" pack, which includes the Yorkie. If their Yorkie is also protective, and they walk together there may occur situations that the Yorkie either instigates, or contributes to when their two meet strange dogs.

Always stop aggressive behaviour whether it be from Yorkie to large dog or vice versa. Here it is Razzle that aggressively protects his toys, and tries to steal the big dog toys. My trainer said I must correct Razz very firmly for this, even though Magic man is very accepting of this behaviour. Actually Magic couldn't care less, he knows he's the boss But it is bad behaviour on Razz's part, and other dogs might not be so placid about it.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!