Thread: Barking Problem
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #3
lovemy3babies
YT 500 Club Member

Smile She's doing better

Hi Roccosmommy,

Thanks for your help. She seems to be getting better.

. "Every time she hears a noise she barks. When I pick her up to let her know everything is okay, she quits barking."... This may actually be reinforcing her behavior by 'rewarding' her with picking her up and soothing her. It might be best to ignore her, then reward her when she's quiet and calm.

I quit picking her up and ignore her like you said. She seems to be calming down a little.

2. "She even acts like she's going to attack my 2 year old granddaughter, but she never bites."...Exactly how is she acting? Does she show her teeth as if vicious, or does she just bark and nip at her feet? She may just want to play and be overexcited and needs to be taught not to be too rough.

She doesn't show her teeth - just barks like crazy and jumps at the 2 year old's feet but doesn't bite. The 2 year old doesn't provoke her in any way. She just stands there.

3. Is she alone a lot during the day? If so, her barking could be causing separation anxiety, which is causing her to be excessively sensitive and barking as a nervous response.

No she is home with me all day long. She stays in my office with me. She is fine with me - very sweet - it's just when someone in the family walks by when she gets all worked up. It's almost like she's trying to protect me. But my husband was able to bend down and touch her this morning and she licked his hand, so I think we're making progress.

Thanks again for your help.
lovemy3babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!