View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britster View Post
I do agree; it is a risk. For sure. But I've always read a few stories of little dogs killing each other while no one was home as well, including 2 Yorkies. I think it works (big dog/little dog combos) more than not work, but of course you're going to read on the internet more about the bad things than the good things, because that's generally why people come to the internet, when there is a problem, so when reading this forum, you will read more problems than good things in general, just because it's a place people seek medical and training advice. I think you have to know your dog well (both little and large) and just be smart about things. If the dogs don't live together 24/7, I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised. My grandma's large Lab is great with Jackson and he loves her, but because he's only been around her about 8-10 times or so, and never left alone with her, I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised even though they've always 100% gotten along.

I believe that all dogs, large and small, need good training because, in all honesty, I meet alot more nice well behaved large dogs than small dogs, because their owners know the large dogs usually get blamed, lol. A 100lb GSD that is lunging at the end of its leash barking at other dogs while on a walk is going to get a lot more grief and critism than a 4lb yorkie doing the same thing, and I think both situations need to be handled the same.

BTW-- this is not directly aimed at you Maximo! I'm just posting this as a general statement for this thread, even though slightly O/T.
Not O/T at all, and Maximo knows you aren't talking about him, lol.

I agree with you on all points in this post. My 2 young, male Yorkies are never left alone together -- not because I think they will attack each other (although anything is possible), rather because they get each other going too fast and jumping off things and crashing into things and wrestling. When no one is here to slow them down, I separate them with xpens. (I have multiple xpens connected to make large play areas).

I would still recommend that any owner of a GSD enroll in advanced training classes, especially if the dog is going to share a home with a tiny Yorkie. If I invested in a good GSD, I would want the dog to have the best training.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!