View Single Post
Old 06-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
lpham
No Longer a Member

Default How do I introduce a GSD to a Yorkie?

My brother has a German Shepherd that is 5 1/2 months old. My yorkie is 4 months old and she weighs only 3 1/2 lbs while he weighs over 50 lbs. They have the exact same amount of energy even though they are different sizes. We've had them both for about the same amount of time but when my yorkie came to me she was a tiny little puppy the size of my hand and so we did not let them get close to each other for fear the GSD would hurt her and because they were both in the process of getting all their shots.

We have tried to slowly get them acquainted with each other under supervision but letting them sniff each other and be in each others presence but after 5 minutes the GSD wants to play but it would be far too dangerous to allow that. She is terribly afraid of him and will roll onto her back in a submissive position. She is a very shy puppy when it comes to other dogs but she absolutely adores people.

My question is how do I go about getting them use to each other? I don't want her to fear other dogs. My GSD doesn't know his size and he will try to but his mouth over her head and will bite and snap if he gets too excited. Will I always have to keep them apart? I want them to become good friends without anyone getting hurt. Thanks in advance for any advice.
lpham is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!