View Single Post
Old 06-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
mercyme
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Good advice

Welcome to the forum !!!

to the replies on the thread.

My wife's Yorkie of 15 years passed away a year ago December. As a result, I decided to get her a Yorkie puppy for her Christmas present.

I went and visited a local breeder & picked out a puppy @ the first part of December, the breeder said I could have her by Christmas (I picked her up on the 23rd). I too, was inexperienced in the ways of Yorkies, all I know is that the puppy was itty-bitty (I found out later that six weeks is a bit too young to be separated from the momma, 8-12 weeks is standard, etc.)

My wife and I took care of Gracie just like she was a baby (which she was). We made sure she ate every few hours (beef flavored baby food w/ a little Karo syrup using a children's medicine syringe). We made sure she stayed warm and she did sleep a lot.

I have nothing bad to say about the breeder (we went back & got a 2nd pup from them (8 weeks old, Coco). They are good people & I visited their farm so I could see with my own two eyes that they really care for their animals and are reputable breeders, NOT a puppy mill. Our puppies are happy, healthy w/ no defects & VERY sweet & loving.

Our Gracie is very well adjusted & a great source of joy in our lives. She & her little sister Coco get along famously. My wife was a little concerned because Gracie's ears did droop a bit @ 10-12 weeks (I believe this coincides with teething). So we trimmed the hair on the ears with some blunt-tipped scissors, got some not-too sticky masking tape & ran one strip on the front of the ear with a 2nd strip on the back of the ear & left it on there for a few days. They stood up fine. As stated earlier, this is purely optional.

Good luck to you and your new pup & keep coming to this site for advise, I know it helped me tremendously when I had questions....my thanks to everyone on here who offers their advice & experience to those who need it.
mercyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!