View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
JamieP
Yorkie Yakker

Default My little one is dying

Hello Yorkie talkers~~ I am so devastated that my 13 yo yorkie is passing away. She has had a long life, I know, but it doesn't make this any easier just the same.
I took her to the vet day before yesterday with unknown to me at the time were symptoms of kidney failure. She had been throwing up, lethargic for days, drinking plenty of water but not really peeing as much, etc. They did blood work and found out that her BUN was 167 and her creatinine was 5.4
All of this was a complete and utter shock to me since she has been fine up to then as far as these symptoms go. I had been noticing some weight less but not much ( 2lbs) and her muscle was fading. All that I attributed to old age. (ditto by her vet!) Only by READING articles on the web am I realizing how serious these numbers are for her since her vet really didn't tell me what to expect or what to do!!!!!! She did say that she needs the IV treatment which is where my baby is right now. I'm not sure how much this will help but at this point, any help I can give her is a comfort to me. I really don't know what to do or what to think. I'm not getting answers except that she is listed in the 'severe' category from the sites I've been on. No clue how long she has or how to handle it from here. Does anyone know???????????? I know her diet needs to change along with her water. But does anyone know what these numbers mean for her and can they be reversed or lowered from here where I can keep her around for a while longer, and if so, what do I need to do to accomplish that.....what would it mean for her? I don't want her to be in pain just so I can keep her around. I know I have to face the loss of her at some point. It's just that this has been such a shock that I wasn't expecting or prepared for. I'm just so completely devastated right now. Anyone that can help it would sure be a blessing to me right now. Anything you can tell me, good or bad will help.
JamieP is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!