View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #1
allyboo
Yorkie Yakker

Default Insurance - pre-existing conditions

I was wondering if anyone knows of any insurance companies that might insure a Yorkie who has pre-existing conditions.

I've been searching around a bit, but haven't really come up with anything.

Currently, Milly is with Petplan, on the lifelong cover, and her insurance is due to be renewed again soon, so I'm really just exploring options.

Milly's history:
As soon as I got her as a pup two years ago, I signed up to Petplan's lifelong cover, which seemed like a really good idea. It was a bit more expensive than other insurance options, but seemed to be worth it for the peace of mind.

Last year, her annual premium increased by over 50%, which to me is staggering... I'd never claimed against her policy, and she was still just 1 year old. The excess also went up from £60 to £90, and they also added a new excess to alternative therapy, where previously there was none. I know that premiums do go up and in the renewal letter they explained this is due to increased costs, economy etc, but really, over 50% for a year-old pooch that has never had problems to me seems a tad ridiculous (I checked their website and they were selling insurance to NEW customers for the original price I had paid).

Since then, the vet has mentioned she has a luxating patella (nothing serious at this stage, but it could need some expensive treatment later in life).

So now I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. If the premium keeps going up at this rate, her insurance will end up costing a fortune, but because of the potentially expensive pre-existing condition, I feel as if I'm going to be stuck paying more and more every year.

Should I just grit my teeth and continue with Petplan (is the increase going to be this high every year?!) and is there no chance of me finding a good insurance for her that will allow for that condition? Does anyone else here have any long-term experience with Petplan, or any other possible advice?

Thanks in advance.
allyboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!