View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Ellie May
And Rylee Finnegan
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mly View Post
My vet told me Bella had a liver shunt but according to her bile acid numbers, I would say she has mvd (or was told by many yorkie owners). She doesn't have any symptoms but does has neurological problems but it has nothing to do with her liver. She loves her wet hill's l/d food but it's expensive and I hate having to get it from the vet. The vet we see doesn't carry it so we get from a different vet. It just sucks having to call to see if they have it in stock all the time.

I live in a small town with a few pet stores that sales a lot of the high quality dog food. I would like to avoid getting food from petco, petsmart etc. but am curious what others are feeding their yorkies (something I can pick up from the shelves).
I have a liver compromised dog, but don't feed dog food.
If your vet things an rx food is best, then it really has to be L/D or RC 14. You can try the lower protein foods from "holistic" companies like others do with MVD dogs, but since your vet wants her on rx and thinks it's a shunt, I wouldn't do that so soon. Dogs can have shunts without a ton of symptoms and just b/c the numbers are below 100 doesn't always mean MVD. It's a good indicator, but I'm just a bit concerned that your vet says it's a shunt. Did they recommend surgery?

If you have decided to stop rx, then some of the senior foods are lower in protein. However, it's not necessarily the right type.

California Natural is lower protein, but not 18%. I have also heard some talk of Wysong.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!