View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 03:08 AM   #6
Lee B
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trin7 View Post
Our two pups, Darwin who is 6 1/2 pounds (14 months) and Zain who is 115 pound Pyrenees/Lab mix (23 months) get along pretty well. We always keep an eye on them as they are both still silly young boys. It took us about 5 months of constantly sitting with them before they settled down. Now we are a lot more relaxed but we don't leave them alone when we are out - we are at the "leave the room for a few minutes at a time", stage. Zain wouldn't purposely hurt Darwin, but with the size difference it wouldn't take much to hurt him. If anything, it's Darwin who will snap at Zain, and also Darwin who loves playing keep away with his toys from Zain. Lots of fun to have both of them but just make sure you keep an eye on them. Good luck with your new dog - he's a beauty!!
Love the "butt" pic

To the OP, *in my opinion*, it's possible to have both the big and small dogs, but it's entirely dependent upon temperament. The ""big dog" in our household is my daughter's Staffordshire; he's 14 years old, bred before everyone wanted seriously protective beasties. Also, his mother died and he was hand raised by her from the age of 4 weeks. He thinks he's human, and is has a very gentle soul. NO ONE should have to put up with the stuff he does from the other dogs

Your Yorkie would be the older dog; if you get a passive puppy, they should be OK as the Yorkie will assume the Alpha dog role. Make sure the "big dog" is neutered as soon as feasible so that adult hormones don't rear their ugly head.

Just my opinion, but it works here (and other places, it appears!) so it CAN be done. Good luck!
Lee B is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!