View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:53 AM   #9
Lou
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy1999 View Post
I'm very concerned that you are keeping you dog in a crate with no bedding or towels. At 10 weeks old most yorkies are with their mommies, who nudge them over to a pee pad. Keeping your baby warm, dry and safe should be a priority not training at this age. If she can't hold it for 2 hours, she can't hold it. Some people take them out every hour, it's never the dog's fault, and they should always have bedding. A dog can hold it longer during the night than it can during the day. You are trying to train through punishment, and this will surely backfire. A better option would to be to place her in an x-pen with several pee pads and bedding. Crate training should only be attempted when you can take them out every hour, and you gradually increase the time.
I can't tell you how strongly I agree with Nancy! That poor baby needs to stay warm and cuddle up to something while you are gone. You said you were thinking about putting a gate up in the hallway - PLEASE do. Put the crate (with bedding) in there too and your little one can use it for naps. If you put lots of peepads down he will learn to use them in emergencies. Is there someone near you that can come and check on him and take him outside when you can't? Could you maybe take a week or two off from work to bond and take him out every hour on the hour?
Good luck.

Gracie Skeeter Adie Tyler
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!