View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #7
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby yorkie View Post
I'm no expert and I've posted this before (and somebody shot me down), but I tried the same thing with my oldest yorkie when she was a baby and it didn't work. She was absolutely terrified of being left alone in the crate, even though she slept in it every night. She had the runs and would jump it across the floor. I finally gave in at about 4-5 months (tired of bathing her and cleaning the crate) and started putting her in my family room with my pek while we were away. It is puppy proofed and has puppy gates. It worked fine for me and she never had another accident when we left the house (even for 4-5 hours). She just needed the company of my pek. A lot of people crate their pups when they are away and it works; for me it didn't. Good luck and I hope it works out!
I brought my first pup home at 13 weeks old and he was about 3 pounds. He would have gone nuts if I had tried crating him. The xpen and piddle pad worked perfectly for him. He graduated to having a safe room to stay in fairly quickly. The Maxman excelled in potty training; it's his specialty.

Crate training works for some pups, but crates should never be used as babysitters for more than 3-4 hours a day -- if I recall correctly, that is what my breeder wrote in the instructions she gave me.
Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!