View Single Post
Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasminv1 View Post
My little faith is 10 weeks old. We have been crating her while I am at work. I work a full time job but have been heading home every 2 hours to let her out to potty since I work real close to home. She has been having accidents every day in her crate. Even after going potty before I put her in there each time. Is this just part of the learning process? I am wondering how you know crate training isn't going to work for your dog. My oldest Yorkie wasn't potty trained for a few months but he did not have this many accidents in his crate.

She has no bedding in the crate or towels in there. I have a divider up so she does not have much room so when she goes she is force to be right on it.Any advice? Do I just need to have patience and give it some time?

Thanks!!!:
I'm very concerned that you are keeping you dog in a crate with no bedding or towels. At 10 weeks old most yorkies are with their mommies, who nudge them over to a pee pad. Keeping your baby warm, dry and safe should be a priority not training at this age. If she can't hold it for 2 hours, she can't hold it. Some people take them out every hour, it's never the dog's fault, and they should always have bedding. A dog can hold it longer during the night than it can during the day. You are trying to train through punishment, and this will surely backfire. A better option would to be to place her in an x-pen with several pee pads and bedding. Crate training should only be attempted when you can take them out every hour, and you gradually increase the time.

Join today and remove this ad!