View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
ladyjane
Resident Yorkie Nut Donating YT 20K Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspaht View Post
My baby, Bella, has allergies. Such as watery eyes, sneezing, shortness of breath. The vet said to try out benadryl with her, the childrens kind. The only childrens kind I found was liquid.... Bella will NOT take it. She won't let me put any syringe in her mouth... I thought I could trick her into licking the medicine up, but that didn't work either. So I found the tablet benadryl, but it isn't for kids. It's 25 mg each tablet. I know that is too much for her since she only weighs 5 lbs. Has anyone else ever had to give their dogs benadryl due to allergies such as sneezing, watery eyes, etc? Needless to say she hasn't had any of the benadryl yet, and honestly I'm some what scared to give it to her. Any suggestions or advice or personal experience? Thank you!
Do not give her a whole tablet. That is too high of a dosage for her. I am assuming your vet said to give her 5 mg ... that would be 1/5 of a tablet...kind of hard to measure. I would call the vet tomorrow morning and ask for advice. Might be that you can give 1/4 of the tablet.

The other thing that I have done since sometimes they fear things coming "at them" is to sit them on my lap with their faces turned away from me. I then can bring a syringe up to their mouths without them seeing it coming. The ones I have given liquid Benadryl to have really liked the flavor...perhaps if you try this you might get some in her mouth long enough for her to enjoy the flavor.
ladyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!