View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 06:58 AM   #5
Mom to Hot Rod
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip View Post
Can you train your yorkie not to go in rooms that are off-limits. I don't want my dog to go upstairs and into certain rooms in my home. I currently have gates up all over my house. Will I have to live like this forever or can you actually train them to not go into certain areas of the house?
As our dog trainer said in classes, "set them up for success". I wouldn't count on them listening 100% of the time. I have the stairs gated off and one day,the gates got moved just enough for them to go up.

I have not fears with Maggie going up and down, but I think Hot Rod fell down a couple of steps when he was a baby (I heard a thud and a yelp) and he's since been afraid of the steps. Well I got home and Hot Rod was no where to be found and when I went to go upstairs, who is standing at the top of the stairs waiting for me to help him down?!

So I would recommend for sure when you are gone to close off the areas that you do not want them to get into. Another reason would be that since they would not be allowed in these areas, you might have something out one day that could be harmful to them and if you were not home to watch over them, they could get into something that might be potentially harmful/hazardous to them.
Mom to Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!