View Single Post
Old 06-01-2010, 04:27 AM   #9
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
It is the same dose for large and small dogs.
You are not overreacting b/c he is your baby, but know that reactions (immediate and severe) aren't nearly as common as the internet could lead people to believe. Most everyone will write about bad experiences, but very few about things going smoothly.

There is always a risk when giving drugs and b/c of his size and to err on the side of caution, I would stay at the vet's office for at least 20-30 minutes after administration.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pettysmith View Post
You might also give him a little Benedryl about 30-45 minutes before his appointment. The dose is 1 mg per lb so a little liquid would do the trick. I manage a vet clinic, have for 13 years, and as Crystal says it is not as common as you think. I guess in the 13 years I have been there I have seen 2 serious reactions. I always give mine a little Benedryl before hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
And Ellie had a very severe reaction too.
But if we are talking about just DHPP here (no lepto or corona), then the chances of an immediate, life threatening reaction are slim. Anything can happen when giving drugs and there are major issues with overvaccination. I don't want to downplay that. However, I don't want to throw an owner into panic mode saying reaction is very likely. It is definitely not for just DHPP. I'm talking about reactions that happen right away here...not ones that happen years down the road b/c I don't think anybody knows about that for sure. At 1.1 pounds, I would be very nervous too, but if the vet thinks it's ok, then there is really no way around it unless OP wants to skip puppy shots and that could be extremely dangerous.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!