View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #15
enchilila
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
the heartworm needs to be done for sure, then if you keep her on it year round and don't miss any months you should only have to test for it every 2-3 years depending on the protocol of that vet. i don't know the weather in texas but here in jersey the weather gets really cold in the winter so there are no mosquitos. i can stop the heartworm pill from november to april if i chose but then i'd have to get a heartworm check again before starting up again in the spring. so i don't know if you can do that in texas.

Some vets request a fecal sample at their yearly (or bi-yearly) check up to look for parasites. bloodwork is your choice. typically most people do not get yearly blood panels. but we are all crazy yorkie owners so most of us DO get yearly panels (i get yearly panels and yearly BATS done on morgan cause she has MVD).
The Boopster has been on a monthly heartworm tablet. We have more mild winters than icy cold ones here in Texas. The bugs are always so bad in the spring and summer. This Yorkie owner is what they call "a horse of a different color". I always spend more money than I need to.

"Betty Boop"
The light of my life & the joy of my living!
enchilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!