View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 03:39 PM   #7
enchilila
Donating YT 5000 Club Member

Thanks everyone! I have read until I'm blue in the face. lol But, I am much more educated on the subject of vaccinations. Thank you for the wonderful sites and for sharing them with me.

I know our county law states it is law to give the rabies vac once a year. When I took my cat in about 2/3 years ago, the vet gave me the choice of doing it yearly or every three years. I remember her telling me a couple of years ago that she only gave her dogs the vac once every three years. She was the one who informed me that I would be taking a chance of possibly getting sued or fined if the cat ever bit anyone.

This particular vet also told me that she has known of a couple of cases in Waco that didn't turn out good for the owners who only vaccinated once every three years. The owners went by state law (once every 3 years) and NOT county law (once every year). This vet said the state is allowing the county to enforce the once a year law.

I now know what I'm going to do for Betty Boop. She did NOT have any reactions to the Distemper-Hepatitis (CAV-2), Canine Parvo, Parainfluenza, leptospirosis, Coronavirus......thank God! She had rabies on November 12, 2009. She will get the booster of DHPP in October (still thinking about separate vacs, but may not be possible, and then again there is the issue of getting too much preservative this way) and then the rabies a couple of weeks later. I am going to ask the vet about a half dose of rabies vaccine and see what his viewpoint is. I have a very, very good vet and really do trust him, but I am one that does so much research and reads a lot before doing ANYTHING! I usually insult vets because of my research. Sad thing, isn't it? This is another thread!

QUESTION: Sorry, but my mind is mush right now......I think I read where I need to get bloodwork, heartworm check, worm check when she is one year old. Is this correct??? This would be at the end of June.

Again, thanks everyone. How DOES one go about getting county law changed? Is there a link somewhere to explain how I can raise awareness of the most recent protocol??

"Betty Boop"
The light of my life & the joy of my living!
enchilila is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!