View Single Post
Old 05-30-2010, 11:05 AM   #15
miabellaamoure
♥YORKIERESCUE.com♥
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Great! Just be very careful... I adopted one from the local Humane Society last year... she came with a horrible virus that she gave to my older Yorkie, Peek A Boo, and it turned into pneumonia and I came very close to losing him. His vet bill was $700.00 (that was cheap bc they thought he wouldn't pull through and just gave meds and sent him home), and I aged 10 years from worry. A reputable Rescue is a much better way to go to me.

Just a note: When you volunteer there: Change your clothes and shoes before walking into your house. Disinfect your shoes with 5% bleach solution (make up a spray bottle), place your clothes in a clean plastic bag and straight into the laundry with them. Don't forget to disinfect your car and any place you walk. Better safe than sorry.

If you do adopt from there: consider having a quarantine area (completely closed off from other pets) for at least one month. Vaccines do not cover all the viruses and diseases that stray dogs can pick up.

Dogs may appear healthy at the facility, when in fact they may be carrying an infection. Dogs in crowded facilities tend not to show signs of illness (survival of the fittest), and many that are adopted do get sick about 1-2 weeks after going to a new home, when they relax a bit and the illnesses surface.

You do have the responsibility to protect the pup you have. Don't risk her life (as I unknowingly did to mine) to want to save a life. If you come across a Yorkie, I would notify a local Yorkie rescue and let them do the saving.

One last note: The Yorkie I adopted had been dumped there twice by 2 families when they discovered her liver enzymes were off. Yes, she has liver shunt... so my cheap $160.00 Yorkie will end up costing over $3000.00 when all is done.
Great post and I sincerely hope the original poster will take note of your thoughts!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!