View Single Post
Old 05-29-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyTheYork View Post
Thanks for your replies. I will take him to the vet and get tests done.

Just to clarify, this incident happened only twice, two months apart. Each time it looks as if he's about to throw up and has something lodged in his throat. As for other symptoms, he's generally very healthy. He'll occasionally throw up because he's a really quick eater, but nothing out of the ordinary. One of the things that I have noticed and brought up the vet is that he often makes these kind of choking sounds like there's something stuck in his throat. The doc said he's probably just eating hair or dust on the floor. But this might be related so I'm going to bring it up again.

As for liver shunt, the symptoms just don't fit. He seems otherwise really healthy. But I will get him checked out for it.

Could it be epilepsy? It does sort of look like a seizure, but how often do epileptic seizures occur in dogs?

Any other ideas what it may be? Remember, he's 4 years old.
if it happens when choking then think it is an oxygen thing and KJC may be right with the CT situation. You could have trachea xrayed to rule it out. Have you seen the videos of CT dogs on here?

Epilepsy is more of a seizure activity. There really is no test for epilepsy they just rule everything out and if seizure activity is there then deem it epilepsy and give meds. Not sure what you are describing is this since it is coming with a possible vomitting.

It sounds like he could be acid refluxing vomit up and choking though and that can be digestive.

Just keep an eye and take notes so you can pin point what is triggering this behavior

if it is not occuring within 2 hrs of eating probably not liver shunt as usually they behave this way within two hrs of eating food as liver cannot release toxins as not functioning 100%

Last edited by dwerten; 05-29-2010 at 11:20 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!