View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
BreJean
Yorkie Talker

Default Thanks Everyone

Thanks Everyone for your feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkiedaze View Post
The things I cook up, mix and freeze is quite a process. It isn't simple, but another person cooks up bison, green beans, squash, carrots, wild rice, sweet potatoes & barley then puts in a food processer to grind very, very fine, measures out what one dog would eat at a meal, freezes then puts them in a zip-loc freezer bag. Just add Omega 3 &6 fatty acid and some type of vitamin. I make the Healthy Powder from Dr. Pitcairn's book.
Thanks Yorkiedaze, I've already ordered Dr. Pitcairn's book, I can't wait to get into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie May View Post
Poop on homecooked varies by dog and by the recipe used. Ellie didn't really change in that area when we went from kibble to homecooked. Now, after needing a unique homecooked diet for medical reasons, her poop is just not good.

You can always add or take away fiber to get the desired consistency.
Homecooking should usually be done under the oversight of a veterinary nutritionist, or if using a recipe that you found, it should meet AAFCO guidelines for the lifestage of your dog.
Thanks Ellie May, I didn't even think about the fiber content, chances are, that was it, I'm sure it was a lot more fiber in the homecook meal, then in the raw 85% meat meal. I agree, I should be seeing a veterinary
nutritionist, and not trying to do this on my own, I'm in Michigan also, is there someone you can recommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
I've home cooked for my pups since they were babies. All three eat different diets due to some medical issues so their poops vary in size. Without a doubt, the poops are not nearly as gross as when they eat dog food. They are not smelly either.

Daisy eats a diet that is high in fiber and her poops are kind of medium sized and look a little less firm Barney's (he has much less fiber in the diet). Then there is Teddy - he has firm small nuggets - they look like rabbit poops half the time. His diet is chicken and brown rice with veggies.

If you're thinking about home cooking, Dr. Remillard (a vet nutritionist in Boston) has a website where you can buy a diet formulated for your dog for about $25. If your dog has medical issues, you can't use the site. It's Welcome to Pet Diets

Good Luck!
Thanks so much 107barney, I appreciate the link to Dr Remillard website. I did go to the website, and I liked what I saw, this could be something that I might just be interested in, but I think, I would like to see a veterinary nutritionist in person, if I can't find one I like here in Michigan, then I will differently take another look at Dr Remillard website.
BreJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!