View Single Post
Old 05-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #25
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipersmommy View Post
This is a very old post, but Max has the same symptoms. Has gone through the same at the vet. I have over 500.00 in the vet right now. His skin is so dry, is there any thing I should do different?
staph is tough to get rid of and can keep coming back if not killed

We used simplicef and you have to do 25 days of antibiotics for skin or it will come back. They usually try simplicef first but my dd got hives on it which is very rare. So we did skin culture and used clindamyacin this last time but it took two rounds of 25 days to kill it.

Also a good topical shampoo to help kill it is duoxo chlorhexedine or benzoyl - chlorhexedine is much more mild than benzoyl and not as drying so it is the first choice by our dermatologist.

It adds up quick and why when skin related i go straight to a derm now - ends up costing less than dealing with regular vet as they can figure it out much quicker and know how to kill it faster as many vets do not treat on antibiotics long enough and it comes back if you do not do 25 days.

When my dog was on probiotics and raw coconut oil she never had these staph infections but i took her off like an idiot a year ago and it was not fun she ended up getting clostridium and staph. The clostridium cleared up fast with the probiotics but the staph was a battle. I have her back on probiotics and once blood work done she is going back on coconut oil as coconut is a natural antifungal and antibacterial healing the dog from the inside out and it worked for years and probiotics are not enough so i now see the coconut oil helped as well.

Last edited by dwerten; 05-26-2010 at 08:56 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!