View Single Post
Old 05-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
YorkieMother
YT 1000 Club Member

Ok here is my take on this and no I am not looking for a fight either so just read all the way to the end and this is my take on that video.

I notice I prefer to teach bite control. I want the dog to know that if their mouth hits my hand or anyones skin even as an accident and they do happen that they pull off the weight of their bite. ( again I am at work with no spell check so switch up letters if I get things spelt wrong.)

I want bite inhabition on my dogs not no bite. a soft mouth.
So what I am teaching that is different is not keep your mouth off it is if you mouth me it had better be light. Now why? Why is it different I want a dog to be wired that it is so ingrained that in a panic of a door slamming on their tail and it happened that they pull off as the go to bite. ( there has been a story around for years of a therapy dog with no bite inhabition on it just no bite that got its tail closed in a hospital sliding door and in pain it nailed its owner) So Even in pain this will be ingrained enough to have the dog pull back enough that the bite is less then a full force need stiches or major repairs.

I want a down to be settle and I want them to learn it without me holding them down. I want them to learn to control themselves over time even if it takes a while rather then me be the force that makes them.

Better learning.

It allows the dog to use it own brain and grow trust that makes a better bond and it learns it can do without your outside forces to get its needs meet and also meet its own. You teach it to settle and give it the skills to do it themselves when you are not their to help them by force as you give them a life skill so that if for some reason they need to calm themselves they can. you give them an off switch.

That understandable.

I want our dogs skilled to self cope with the and trust us but be able without us to deal with the world in the right way without our need to have them under our thumb.

So my dogs when they go away to a show still act well and know as I taught them to manage without me not that I need to be there all the time the have them behave or I will roll or tss or swat or poke them. They know that everyone around them will respond with gentle if they keep up the life skills. If one gets out of hand everyone stops and looks at what it the trigger removes that trigger and on they go...MY kids the furry ones know to ask for help if they can not manage without getting rammy and have their needs meet. It is ok for dogs not to be ok with thing and not to be perfect. Life skills are not for control and perfection they are for their and our safe keeping.

That clip is teaching the dog not to ask for help, not to learn to control it self that all powerful big being will do it for me. Teaches a dog to stop thinking.
The one that created dogs gave them a brain and I myself prefer them to learn that it is ok to use the brain that they have been given. where is it my right to think I know better and must control that which has a brain to learn to do it it self and be happier as it can use its brain and not be a shell of a dog not able to use its brain for fear of a roll or because someone took its use away.

that is why. Rather simple really.

JL
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!