View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Lizzie07
YT 1000 Club Member

I honestly think you may need a behaviorist too, and I also think this is a problem that can be fixed. A dog can learn nearly anything, including how to go to his bed when the baby cries, or just ignore the baby. I just think the problem will not go away by itself or without a real effort on your part to work with your yorkie to modify the behavior.

I would at least recommend starting any training at your parent's house. You might try having your parents put your dog on a leash, when you are there, and when the baby cries, have your dog sit and give him some yummy treats and praise, not ordinary treats, really good ones. Only give the treats if your dog is sitting and being quiet. If you have to, withhold his dinner (dog's) so he is fairly hungry, too, if he isn't real food motivated. It might help to have a recording of the baby crying that you can hold at the same time you hold the baby and have several training sessions, since you can't have the baby cry on command. You need to set up the opportunity to train, and then practice it as much as possible. Try not to have the baby crying around the dog unless you are in control of the situation and able to reward the dog for sitting quietly. Your goal is to have your dog really behaving himself at your parents. Once you do, you could try bringing him home for training sessions. But don't rush it, and only do it if you and your husband can work with your dog. You've got to be in control, and avoid any situations where your dog can get out of control. Once he shows reliability on leash, try off. If he is at home and you don't think you can control the situation, put your dog in the crate. Give him a Kong or something while he's in there. Don't punish or correct your dog when the baby cries, just try to get him to sit, treat, and praise, otherwise you might make him feel the baby really does make bad things happen. Your goal is for your dog to learn the crying isn't bad and a new way to react to it.

You might also have your parents play a recording of the baby when they can to try to help desensitize your dog to a baby's cry. But if he goes berserk when they play the recording, don't do it. You don't want him to learn to behave like that.

The advantage to having a behaviorist working with you is he/she could gauge your dog's reaction and adjust the training accordingly. All I can do for you is offer this suggestion to try. Other posters might have better suggestions, and remember, there isn't necessarily one way to fix this problem. If one method isn't working, you may need to try something else. I really, really believe your problem can be fixed, though.
Good luck, please let us know how its going and what you do to fix the problem.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!