Thread: Protein C test
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telea View Post
We are retesting Bile acids on Monday to see where she is now. I have been on the Liver support site, but not recently. My vet is conferring with a vet in Little Rock that does the liver shunt surgery, she suggested the re test and to use a different antibiotic neomicin and to do a possible CT scan to look for any nero problems.

They also said that she could quite possibly be MVD and not a candidate for surgery. The only way to tell if it is a shunt would be for the porto gram or a special x-ray like the one at UT.
scinitigraphy but due to age it could be more than one shunt and inoperable If a shunt is not repaired at young age then the dog can blow more shunts thus making it inoperable. My fear is there may be multiple shunts due to age.

I would have her consult dr tobias and dr center as they are the experts on this and if I was considering further testing it would be scintigraphy but that is only going to say shunt or no shunt not if multiple or not. Only way to know if multiple is by opening the dog up. Did your vet ever retest after original bats to make sure the number went down below 100 after doing low protein and supplements? Usually if mvd the number is below 100 usually if over 100 a shunt but your dogs is barely over 100 so this is a tough one. I have seen a dog on here who had a protein c test and it said like yours no shunt and the dog had 4 shunts when tobias opened him up.

I think you will know more once the bats come back. How about urine any crystals in urine?

The seizures has me concerned as my dog has mvd but it is a very mild case of it so she has never had any symptoms and is on low protein diet only no supplements

Last edited by dwerten; 05-21-2010 at 07:39 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!