View Single Post
Old 05-20-2010, 09:39 AM   #11
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyHOO View Post
I agree with you ladies to a point...I definitely do not walk Harley on busy streets without a leash. However, she is trained so well, that I can let her off leash in the front yard and she never bolts. If another dog, cat or even squirrel approaches the yard, she just runs back to me. We do occasionally take a night walk and my husband and I allow her off leash for these...but she's always walking right between us, never falls back or runs ahead. She'll just stay in the middle. If we stop, she stops. I would never put her in a situation where I thought she would be hurt.
the only thing is with this is if a big dog comes out of no where and lunges at her there is no way for you to pull her up quickly without a leash and they could grab her and run off with her. Also hawks and owls are very fearless and we have seen stories here where the hawk grabbed the dog while owner was walking on leash and leash was the only thing that saved her as owner was able to pull her back.

I just think it is always safer having them on a leash since they are so small.

We have hawks, owls and coyotes here and people have let their dogs outside to go potty and a coyote grabbed them and jumped over the fence as the coyotes know by the poop in yard and sense where dogs are and lie in wait for them when an owner lets them outside.

Just be careful as they are so little things can happen fast even right in front of you

There was a party here with 50 people and a owl swooped down and took the owners maltese in front of 50 people. You can never be too careful with a toy breed in my opinion.

Last edited by dwerten; 05-20-2010 at 09:41 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!