View Single Post
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
dwerten
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalina82 View Post
Please make sure a board certified orthopedic surgeon does the repair. They will fix the ACL and LP at the same time and the recovery won't be any different or more extensive. I believe the AMC in the city has good surgeons. Or if you want to come to jersey, I highly recommend the Animal Emergency and Referral Associates. There are two excellent surgeons there.
agree would not let a regular vet do this procedure and my girl has LP and she hurt her acl a year ago february jumping off doggie stairs and i consulted with two bc surgeons and two vets. One vet wanted to rush into surgery in two weeks but the other three said to rest her for 2 months as in small dogs the scar tissue in 80% of them will act like a tendon and surgery is not necessary. DD had xrays and both knees showed LP 4 where they are permanently cemented out and will not move at all and in 2 months she was fine walking around and never lifts her leg ever after that 2 months.

So there are two schools of thought on this so make sure to get a couple opinions as i am glad i did as dd is totally fine. I just do not let her play frisbee on hardwood anymore or jump on and off things

Whether they have surgery or not they will have arthritis and any surgery causes scar tissue as well.

There is a group on yahoogroups.com i joined called conservativemanagement@yahoogroups.com. I also joined orthodogs@yahoogroups.com so i could get both sides as well

what i learned about lp surgery is they move bones, make grooves etc so it is pretty intense and i would have a surgeon do this. With acl in small dogs they usually drill holes in both bones and use a fishing wire type substance to make a tendon.

Last edited by dwerten; 05-17-2010 at 08:41 AM.
dwerten is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!