View Single Post
Old 05-15-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmart View Post
Thank you for all the information. No I am not going to have them fixed because I will bred them in the future as I have planned. I am not well enough versed on breeding to start quite yet, but my plan is to bred excellent quality puppies and price them for the people who are not willing/able to pay $2000+ prices for puppies. I want people to have puppies who will give them the love they deserve, not only those who can afford the high prices. This is just my opinion on the subject, again I am not ready to bred right now, it will be a while. Thank you for the information.
I think what we are saying is you better plan right now that your bitch is pregnant and get in all the whelping supplies, and start figuring out how you are going to deliver safely these puppies. I'm assuming you haven't had the chance yet to do all the health screening, so that should be done ASAP.

Given that you want to breed in the future at least the cost is merely being outlayed sooner rather than later.

You need to put aside the money you will need if your bitch needs a c-section, and of course for all the puppy health checks and shots.

If she is not pregnant then you can save all or most of those supplies for when you intentionally breed her.

You might want to go to the thread sticky that has been posted about breeding if you've not already done so.

Just so you know; a show breeder can easily spend $10,000 to bring a puppy to full grown adult with duly earned Championship title, and then more $$ to put on obedience titles. The cost of all proper health checks are not cheap, OFA, hips/elbows, knees. CERF, Prebreeding Tests, BATS
Thryoid, Heart. Now if you have that very very special boy/or girl and you go for top dog the price tag goes up exponentially.
Despite what is often times bruted around a conformation show ring is not Just about a "pretty dog". Judges go over the structure of your dog, watch your dog move. And almost as importantly your peers, watch, assess, and you as a fancier and breeder are as eager for their opinion of your dog as you are the judges.

Now before we do all that with any puppy we have researched our lines the line we intend to mate with, agonized over various pros and cons, and finally all science rationality done, we take a deep breath, and say okay, yes I will breed my dog to your bitch. Health checks are the minimum we look at!.

There is a reason for all this, show breeders want at the minimum to keep beautifull healthy Yorkies being born and bred, and the ultimate goal is to IMProve the Breed.

The costs speak for themselves, every quality bred puppy is worth every single cent of $2000 or more.

Can you do it for less? Perhaps cut corners, don't show, don't health test, don't provide all the best of care for your puppies.

Or do everything to the absolute best and fund the difference out of your own pocket
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!